I am an insignificant person in one small corner of the earth. Like you I recognize things are not right and I am deeply alarmed; something is going horribly wrong around us. Because I am in the Leadership space and have been interviewing top leaders for almost 20 years, my subjective assessment was that the problem had to somehow lie at the feet of leaders/leadership. I decided to throw out a poll on Twitter, to verify or refute my thinking. This is what it said – please read carefully because the result has serious implications:
“The problem of weak, toxic leadership is destroying our world – economically, politically, socially, morally, health wise. We need a greater and more coordinated effort to create awareness of authentic leaders / leadership; and then we need to get better at developing them.” Respondents could agree or disagree.
Firstly, what is your answer?
I am willing to bet there are 92% of you who agree. You see, the Twitter poll ran for only 24 hours and at the 23.5 hour mark the result was already obvious – 92% agreed / 8% disagreed. Then I asked two influencers (Prof Thuli Madonsela and Gareth Cliff) to quickly retweet before time expired, knowing full-well that it would increase the number of participants and challenge the polls validity. They kindly obliged and the number of participants more than doubled to 932, yet the result remained exactly the same – research experts can explain. However, I believe if we kept on doubling the number of respondents up to 1 billion world citizens, the result wouldn’t change much, if at all.
What does this outcome mean?
As I started asking the question, a Facebook friend wisely responded: “I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
I hate to break it to you, but we are living in “such times”. 92% of people – you and I – believe our world is being destroyed…on our watch. Over and above the obvious destruction that’s so evident on our daily news feeds, can you begin to imagine the collateral damage of weak and toxic leadership on our physical, emotional and spiritual well-being, on relationships? And what are we/you/I doing about this? How will I account to future generations? Are you just getting on with your job every day; just looking after yourself and your family, your business? Of course – if you are – that’s great! It’s a good start and more challenging to achieve than ever before. But we are living in times when each of us must do that little bit more; when I need to LEAD from where I stand. It starts with me; I must extend myself just that little bit more inside my circle of influence, because what we are all doing, collectively, doesn’t seem to be working.
So here is what I – with the help of my partner Rogers Sithole – have done, within my circle of influence. It has taken years and much in terms of financial investment, risk and sacrifice to build a Global Leadership Platform or GLP Application, for all things leadership; for Leadership conversation across the world. This App’s intention is to address the exact need highlighted in the Poll statement, to – in a more coordinated and focused way – raise awareness of authentic leadership and to improve our capacity as a society to develop authentic leaders and much needed Leadership Fitness.
Speaking for myself, this Platform is my attempt to lead from where I stand; to clear my conscience; to account to future generations that I did what I could to reverse the situation. But I realize with utmost clarity that my effort is only starting – just the beginning. There is a very long and hard – yet exciting – road ahead.
Please pause for a moment and think what more you can do – from where you stand – to improve the situation. Then do the following, which will help hold you to your commitments:
Download the FREE App on your laptop, phone and tablet (link below) or log in if you have already downloaded it, find PLDP (Personal Leadership Development Plan) on the menu, when inside press the little + button at the bottom right of your screen, type your commitment/s and schedule your App to remind you daily to heed those commitments. Make sure you watch the short video below as it explains why the PLDP is structured around the Law of Movement.
Let’s MOVE forward from there.
May we look back on this period of our world history as a time when we turned the tide on this significant Leadership challenge.
More on the Global Leadership Platform Application (GLP):
- There is a public version that’s FREE. Click on my link and register to download: http://tinyurl.com/y9usk24m – please watch my short video message on the GLP App: https://youtu.be/sVmb1ktOrT0
- Then there is the organizational version that can be customized and implemented inside organizations, to help improve future and current leadership development initiatives and to contribute towards continued leadership fitness and business improvement. Use the link to read more about what it can do for your organization: https://bit.ly/2nhYz22
- Inside the App is a Personal Leadership Development Plan (PLDP), the intention of which is to personalize your own leadership journey. It always starts with the individual. Watch my short video message about the PLDP: https://youtu.be/Vyi_uN0sElM
- On the App is an “I-LEAD” function. This is where we want all users to share how “I lead from where I stand”; share examples of good leadership around you – be our eyes and ears on the ground; and share your views on Leadership. You see, I believe it’s quite feasible that there may just be more examples of good rather than bad leadership around, but we haven’t been trained or conditioned to notice and share these. As a result, weak and toxic examples take prominence and we may be our own worst enemy; we may be living inside a false paradigm, which is just as big a challenge to confront. Watch my short video on I-LEAD: https://youtu.be/JmfnPw5Rrpk
- Finally, there is a “Global Contributor” function. This is where we will invite – very selectively – influential leaders, leadership experts and authors to share their views, knowledge and experience with the world.
Thank you for coming on this journey with us.
Adriaan Groenewald – Leadership Activist